Sunday, May 20, 2012

Done drawing the timing side case in CAD and i am finally stoked to start building up the case half! Got new bearings, a torch, and a hammer!! Here we Go!

What a difference!!

Got some more parts in!!!!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Finally!!! The weather is getting warm enough to ride!! Was planning on spending the day prepping the 500 with an oil change, new plugs, points, and a needed cleaning. Come to find out there is a giant crack on the top side of the oil tank and i spent the day pulling it out and welding it up. Gunna have to wait till next weekend to ride i guess... DAMN!

On Any Sunday Bruce Brown Steve McQueen

Front fork rebuild... New O-rings, fork seals, etc...
This is going to reveal the super-nerd Engineer side of me... As i assemble this engine i am documenting every single part in CAD and will eventually make a huge exploded drawing of the entire engine. It is taking forever but i think it will be amazing when its done! Might be a good back piece!!
Sludge trap cleaned, rods polished, new bearings and bushings, and assembled!! Wapppppppp Wappppppp!!!

Gas tank cleansing time! Got a great gas tank for the Bonneville but unfortunately it had been full of old gas for like 20 years and almost a 1/4" of sludge that had hardened on the inside. So... I read a few blogs, a few tech articles, and came up with a solution. I filled the tank with small ball bearings and a half box of drywall screws and then wrapped it up tight with some blankets and packing tape. Headed to the Laundromat down the street with the tank and every blanket we have in the apartment!! I stuffed everything in the laundry bag so i didn't look suspicious and proceeded to load it in to dryer. $2 in quarters and the heat setting to OFF and away it went. I let it tumble for about an hour or so and then packed everything up in the laundry bag and headed back to the shop... No alarms raised, sweet!! Back at the shop i unwrapped the tank and banged a TON of dust, rust, and hard sludge, it worked great and next time i would even put it in for an hour longer. Now the chemicals.... Headed to the grocery store across the street and bought 10 bottles of white vinegar which is a mild acid that eats rust and works miracles. I plugged the tank with rubber stoppers and filled it to the top. I let it sit for two weeks and then drained it while vigorously shaking the tank and dislodging huge chunks of rust CRAZY! The tank was clean to the bone! The bad side of vinegar is that it flash rusts instantly so i had to make a mixture of  baking soda and water to neutralize the acid.... Cleaned the tank, dried it out, sprayed on some primer and bolted it on the frame! DONE!!!!

New Exhaust and Intake bushings!!

Friday, February 17, 2012

This is my West of the Mississippi inspiration at the moment...

First order of business on the T120R frame was to get the small welding projects out of the way... The kickstand bracket was totally hammered so i installed a better one!! Good as new.
Alright... I guess it's time to join the 21st Century. I don't post too much on Facebook and I don't spend enough time calling my friends about bragging about how "cool" i am, so I figure i can start a blog and at least document my newest project and the happenings of this crazy neighborhood we call Greenpoint. Cheers!

PS. By the way, this is going to end up being a 1968 Triumph Bonneville T120R.